this state park is located on beech island, sc. it is just south of augusta, ga. it was built in 1857, and served 3 generations of hammonds. it is situated on a high hill to capture the breezes. the central hall has 14 foot ceilings and is over 20 feet wide; it was used for balls and grand occasions. the doors at each end could be opened to get some pleasant ventilation going. there are grand views out the second story doors. it was modernized with bathrooms in the '30's, but otherwise is still in its original shape. there is a slave cabin on the premisis and an allee of old magnolia trees.
photographs and words by rebecca wood