double dutch press opened in athens last july, in the normaltown neighborhood. it quickly became our go-to place for printing needs- they printed the cover for the arrow cookbook. the printmaking studio was founded by a former rwooder, amanda burk, and katherine mcguire. the two met while studying printmaking at UGA and after various stints away from athens, they returned to open the studio together.
a while back, we asked them a few questions:
- what inspired you to create your own printmaking studio?
It took a few years to realize that there was something very important to us missing from our daily lives and something very important missing from Athens cultural scene: an accessible print studio. Many printmaking processes require large and/or expensive equipment, and space and maintenance that is not always practical for an individual. A printmaking studio makes this equipment accessible and offers the sense of community that we missed after graduate school. Printmakers have to "play nice" in the studio: we all play off of each others' energy and learn responsible creativity by expressing ourselves artistically in a shared space.
- please summarize what you offer at double dutch.
Our printmaking studio supports plate lithography, relief, and fine art screenprinting - with etching to be introduced in the Spring. (It should be noted that we focus on artwork produced on paper - while we can teach people techniques for printing on other substrates such as t-shirts, we do not teach t-shirt printing nor do we do contract t-shirt printing.)
We have four modes of operation:
1. Instruction: We teach workshops in the mediums the studio supports and offer individual instruction in these mediums as well. You can view our calendar of upcoming workshops (and purchase spots in them) in the Calendar section of our website, www.doubledutchpress.com.
2. Press Services:
- Press Rental: We have 2 combination presses used for printing for plate lithography, relief, and coming soon: etching. We also have 3 vacuum tables for screen printing.
- Screen Services: Double Dutch Press knows how hard it can be to properly reclaim, coat, and burn screens at home. So, for those interested in printing at home in their own studio (or here, you just aren't obligated to do so) we offer screen reclamation and coating and exposure services. You can have your screens cleaned here and be on your way, or opt in for the whole she-bang. It is $6 per screen for cleaning, $10 for coating and exposure, and $15 for the full suite (printing of art not included - for standard screen sizes up to 25 x 36").
- Screen Rental: We rent screens for printing on-site at Double Dutch.
3. Contract Printing: Double Dutch Press offers Contract Design & Print Services. Whether you are looking for a place to reproduce your artwork in a traditional printmaking medium like lithography (fine art editioning), get posters or albums for your band printed, or create an extra special invite, we've got you covered. Rates will vary from project to project, so feel free to reach out to us for timing and a quote.
4. Proprietary Printing: Double Dutch Press produces its own line of printed goods which vary from stationery and seasonal cards to fine art prints to goods for the home. Our current offerings can be found in the Shop! section of our website or in the retail section of our store.
parting thoughts, from double dutch:
We are really excited about all of the possibilities Double Dutch Press offers: We get to help educate others in these art making techniques, offer press rental etc. for those already familiar with them, and produce work (both for others and ourselves) on a daily basis. We are happy to have created a studio that is well-appointed, comfortable, and affordable for those who wish to use it.
photographs by rinne allen.