we just returned from a quick afternoon to apple country around ellijay, GA. we started going up a few years ago and we now try to make it up a couple of times every fall so we can catch the different ripenings.
i was reading a vegetarian times newsletter and saw this recipe for maple bundt cake. i love the pairing of maple syrup and apples so i decided to cook some apples down and add them to the cake. good decision. the cake is so quick and easy to make. and your house will smell like fall which is never a bad thing.
- 3 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple extract
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in bowl.
3. Whisk maple syrup, oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, maple extract, and 1 1/3 cups water in large separate bowl. Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes. Unmold onto rack, and cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
*if you want to add apples like i did.....peel and core 6 apples and dice them. i simmered them for 30 minutes. add a tiny bit of apples if needed.